Knowledge About Physiotherapy Profession Among High School Students
Physiotherapy is a branch of medicine and plays a vital role in preventing injuries, progression of health, and restoration of fitness. Professionally physiotherapy growth is much slower when compared with the other medical professionals, and the knowledge is low with the school students. This study is conducted to identify the knowledge of physiotherapy as a profession in school students. A descriptive study with 250 school students who are currently studying 10th grade & 12th grade were selected, and a self-designed questionnaire was circulated to them, and they have to answer on a 5-point Likert scale. One hundred seventy-five were eligible for the study, and data were analyzed using descriptive statistics. Results show that knew 50% about the sub-specialties, 70% & 60% have knowledge of treatment modalities and their uses in physiotherapy practice. This study concluded that high school students are having good awareness about physiotherapy as a profession. Further education to the schools is needed to enrich the knowledge about the physiotherapy profession to the school students.
2) Thomson A, Skinner A and Piercy J. Tidy’s physiotherapy (15th edition). Oxford Butterworth Heinemann,. 2013.
3) Higgs J, Refshauge K, Ellis E. Portrait of the physiotherapy profession. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 15 (1): 79- 89. 2001
4) Ikujima H, Noma K, Ito M. Methods of portraying the physiotherapy profession: a survey conducted on the awareness of physiotherapy during a fair on lifelong learning. J Jpn Phys Ther Assocc, 25(55). 1999
5) Summers M. General practitioners and information on local services. Health Issues. 35: 32-34. 1993
6) Silva DM, Clark SD, Raymond G. Californian physicians’ professional image of physical therapists. Physical Therapy. 29: 1152-1156. 1981
7) Pavithra R. Perception of Physiotherapy profession: a short review, Indian journal of physical therapy. 3(2). 2015.
8) Rathi AS, Chandra R. Awareness of physiotherapy as a career option among higher secondary students of Nagpur city: a cross-sectional study. Int J Health Sci Res.10(10):13-20. 2020
9) Harris MF, Management of Chronic musculoskeletal conditions in general practice. Self-care and use of community resources. A report of the qualitative process. General practice evaluation and program work in the progress report. Australia. Government printing service. Canberra. 3—5. 1992
10) Watanabe M. Reexamination of the relationship between guidance, counseling and available information, the role of guidance counselor. 453. 2—5. 1995
11) Hachimatsu K, Hirata N, Umezaki M. A. Survey of saga high school students’ awareness of physiotherapy. J JpnPhysTher Assoc. 25. 98. 1998.
12) Hirose Y, Ito Y, Fujii Y. A survey of high school student awareness of Physiotherapy. J JpnPhysTher Assoc. 23: 153. 1996.
13) Baky AM, Physical therapy profession perception by physicians and medical students in Sudayr region. IJPT 2(2). 54—60. 2014
14) Dalley J, Sim J. Nurses perception of physiotherapists as rehabilitation team members. Clinical Rehab. 15(4): 380—389. 2001
15) Puckree T, Harinarain R, Ramdath P, Singh R, Ras J. Knowledge, perceptions and attitudes of final year Medical, Occupational Therapy and Sport Science students regarding Physiotherapy, in KwaZulu Natal, SA Journal of Physiotherapy, 67 (3). 2011.
16) Holdsworth LK, Webster VS, and McFadyen AK. Physiotherapists’ and general practitioners’ views of self-referral and physiotherapy scope of practice: result from a national trial. Physiotherapy.94:236-243.2001.
17) Kallus K, Noble D, Bezner J, Keely G. An assessment of high-school students’ knowledge of physical therapy and the factors that influence their knowledge. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 13:4-11. 1999.
18) Dissanayaka TD, Banneheka S. Awareness in physiotherapy among high school students, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, (4): 7. 2014
19) Ogiwara S, Nozoe M. Knowledge of Physiotherapy: A study of Ishikawa High School students. Journal of Physical Therapy Science 17: 9-16. 2005.
20) Olajide A. Olawale, Magdaline T. Adjabeng. Awareness and knowledge of physiotherapy among the general public in an African market in Accra Metropolis, Ghana. Indian Journal of Physical Therapy. 2011
21) Riju RD. Awareness about physiotherapy among high school students of Anand district. International Journal for Innovative Research in a multidisciplinary field. 1: (5). 2015.